Monday, February 23, 2009

What I'll be doing on the sandy beaches of Ghana

So, you've heard my story (if not, please refer to below!) but now I'd love to share with you what I'll actually be doing in the sweet sweet Ghana! Prepare to be amazed...

For my volunteering adventure, I will be in a small village of Atorkor (luckily they supply my mosquito net). This enchanting little village on the beach is supported by fishing, which has been taking a big hit because of over fishing by foreigners and a dam built by the government. There are many NGOs (Non-government Organizations) that are working their to stimulate the economy and help out.

Village Volunteers is set up to send people out to locations and work with NGOs. Here I will be able to help them wherever needed. The areas I will be able to help include (but are certainly not limited to): the medical center, with micro financing programs, employment training, education and welfare, and much more! One thing I love about this village is that there is no orphanage because the loving people absorb children that are orphaned into their homes. I hope to be able to help out a lot with these kids in the schools. I've spoken with the director about some things I could do here. She suggested I should plan some activities to do with the kids in the village. I'm really excited about that! And also she suggested I do writing projects with the girls in the village about what it means to them to be a girl. This is a project they want to turn in to a book that will raise more funds for these great people. I'm still corresponding with the director and more details about some of my projects are to follow! But if anyone has any ideas of really fun activities to do with groups of children, I would LOVE to hear them!!


Also.... I got Hep A and Hep B shots today. For those that don't know, needles are one of my biggest fears. But that to me is what Africa is about. Conquering fears, enduring, and doing so many things I never thought I could. I didn't even cry or freak out when I got my shot cause I knew I was doing it so I could go to Africa!!!

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget to put your donation button on here, so we can get those donations coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hep A shots hurt like a mother! I had to get one for the Philippines. That reminds me... I still need a typhoid shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mad props go out to you, my friend! Getting those shots...incredible! You are a rock!

    ReplyDelete